How to make your Startlist – without a lot of typing
Broadly speaking, coaches should keep a spreadsheet (Excel format) that contains all of their skiers. The coach can then create lists of skiers for any given race with this spreadsheet and submit it by email to the person that creates the startlists.The convention is now to submit a roster by e-mail every week. I would use the same one, with macros installed that would let me sort by alpha (to get skiers in order) to sort by times (that were imported from the previous week) and to sort by tentative teams (as I assigned them). The Results spreadsheet that is posted after every race is the starting point that I would use.
A blank version of this spreadsheet is posted here. You might use it to do the initial entries for the first race.
Why I would use it: (as far as I know – almost no coach is doing this – but I think that it is truly worth it!!!)
- Accuracy – no forgotten skiers
- Accuracy – spelling is not changed from week to week.
- Ease of examination of last week’s results – all of your skiers are sorted by finish time, regardless of team level
- Ease of use – only a few clicks and no extra typing
- Can sort by the new teams as often as wanted while building the new teams.
- Can check teams to see that you have no duplicates or holes, with one click.
- ‘Official’ formatting – works perfectly with the startlist system.
The specific instructions on using the Results spreadsheet after a race are on the ‘Docs’ worksheet within it.
To use it for your initial startlist, follow these steps:
- Open the spreadsheet and enable Macros. Instructions about Macros are in the ‘Docs’ worksheet. Some background on them is posted here
- Enter your roster of all of your skiers in the columns of the worksheet ‘Others’, following the format shown. Type over the data shown.
- Move to the Basic worksheet and click ‘Import Other Skiers’
- Enter your seeds (a1, b2, c1, etc.) as you wish. The three buttons that you might wish to use are:
- Sort by School Sex Name
- Sort by Sex Seeds Time
- Check Seeds
- Save the file
- You can email this file to the person making startlists.